btsarnia

A tribute to the life and work of Brian Torode

Category Archives: Stroud area

The Story of the Catholic Church in Painswick

  The Story of the Catholic Church in Painswick by Ursula Usher (1990) Edited by Brian Torode and Richard Barton Firstly, Mrs. Usher of Painswick produced an account of the … Continue reading

October 17, 2017 · Leave a comment

The Chapel of St Thomas More and St John Fisher, Box

The Chapel of St Thomas More and St John Fisher, Box by Richard Barton (October 2017) As a lover of local vernacular ‘Arts and Crafts’ architecture I have been interested … Continue reading

October 12, 2017 · Leave a comment

The Raymond-Barkers and the building of the Chapel of St Mary of the Angels, Bisley

The Raymond-Barkers and the building of the Chapel of Our Lady of the Angels, Bisley by Richard Barton (October 2017) St Bartholomew’s Church at Oakridge was built as a chapel-of-ease to … Continue reading

October 11, 2017 · Leave a comment

Nympsfield and the Leigh Family

Nympsfield and the Leigh Family by Sheila Dennison Journal of the Gloucestershire and North Avon Catholic History Society. Spring 1990, Issue No 13               … Continue reading

October 11, 2017 · Leave a comment

Henry Stephens of Chavenage

HENRY STEPHENS OF CHAVENAGE – A TRAGIC CONVERT By the Late John Fendley (1991) The story of Chavenage manor, near Horsley, is a vignette of English social history. Before the … Continue reading

October 4, 2017 · Leave a comment

Woodchester Mansion Chapel

Why did William Leigh build the Chapel? As all visitors will hear when they visit Woodchester Park the focal point of the Mansion is its chapel. When the house was … Continue reading

September 18, 2017 · Leave a comment

St Mary of the Angels, Brownshill also known as ‘Templewood Chapel’

This is a photographic blog but more historical details about the history of the chapel will be added in due course. The Chapel was built in 1937 to the designs … Continue reading

May 25, 2017 · Leave a comment

Photographs of Woodchester Priory

Photographs from the Collection of Richard Barton The Church and Priory was designed by Charles Hansom. The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation was built for the Passionists between … Continue reading

August 2, 2016 · 6 Comments

St Rose’s Convent, Stroud

Former Dominican Third Order Convent of St Rose of Lima, Beeches Green, Stroud Buildings designed by Benjamin Bucknall of Woodchester Park Mansion fame and erected between 1862 and 1882. The … Continue reading

July 19, 2016 · 2 Comments

Franciscan Convent, Woodchester

A Photographic Record Two of these photographs show the orphanage of 1865 but pre-date the erection of the Chapel Wing which was completed in 1869. Other photographs would appear to … Continue reading

July 13, 2016 · 4 Comments