btsarnia

A tribute to the life and work of Brian Torode

Category Archives: A Roman Catholic Medley

St Mary of the Angels, Brownshill also known as ‘Templewood Chapel’

This is a photographic blog but more historical details about the history of the chapel will be added in due course. The Chapel was built in 1937 to the designs … Continue reading

May 25, 2017 · Leave a comment

Postlip Chapel

Roman Catholic Church of St James the Great, Postlip During the latter part of the nineteenth century Catholic missions had grown up in places to the north of Cheltenham. The … Continue reading

January 3, 2017 · Leave a comment

St Benet’s Kemerton, Beckford Hall and Woollas Hall in photographs

Beckford Hall the home of the Wakeman Family. Later the house was occupied by the Ashton-Case Family who added the chapel wing and then it was the Noviciate for the … Continue reading

November 23, 2016 · Leave a comment

St Peter’s Church, Gloucester and Hartpury Catholic Chapel in photographs

  The Roman Catholic Church of St Peter ad Vincula, Northgate Street, Gloucester       Hartpury Catholic Chapel From 1794 to 1839 Hartpury Court sheltered a community of Dominican … Continue reading

November 22, 2016 · Leave a comment

Photographs of Woodchester Priory

Photographs from the Collection of Richard Barton The Church and Priory was designed by Charles Hansom. The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation was built for the Passionists between … Continue reading

August 2, 2016 · 6 Comments

St Rose’s Convent, Stroud

Former Dominican Third Order Convent of St Rose of Lima, Beeches Green, Stroud Buildings designed by Benjamin Bucknall of Woodchester Park Mansion fame and erected between 1862 and 1882. The … Continue reading

July 19, 2016 · 2 Comments

Franciscan Convent, Woodchester

A Photographic Record Two of these photographs show the orphanage of 1865 but pre-date the erection of the Chapel Wing which was completed in 1869. Other photographs would appear to … Continue reading

July 13, 2016 · 4 Comments

Franciscan Convent at Taunton

  STATUES OF OUR LADY AT THE FRANCISCAN CONVENT, TAUNTON The Franciscan Convent at Taunton was established in 1807 and flourished as a Franciscan School until 1954 when the property … Continue reading

July 13, 2016 · Leave a comment

St Clotilde’s Convent, Lechlade

I. The Catholic Community of Lechlade by Richard Barton (2003) From the death of Queen Mary in 1558 until the arrival of the Sisters of St. Clotilde in 1939, there … Continue reading

June 22, 2016 · 8 Comments

St. George’s Taunton

  Saint George’s Roman Catholic Church, Taunton by Richard Barton (1997)   INTRODUCTION St. George’s Church in Taunton replaces an earlier chapel situated in The Crescent, Taunton, which was opened … Continue reading

May 31, 2016 · Leave a comment