St Gregory’s Cheltenham – Photographs
St Gregory’s Cheltenham in Photographs
More photographs from the collection of Richard Barton and the Late Brian Torode may be added in due course…
Catholic Chapel in Somerset Place by George Rowe
1875c with thanks to David Hanks who owns the copyright
St James’s Square showing the old Railway Station opposite St Gregory’s
Three Spires – St Gregory’s, St Matthew’s and St Mary’s
John Augustine Birdsall, OSB – Missioner 1809-1830. Builder of the First Church
Gravestone at Broadway
Dom James Ambrose Cotham OSB – Rector 1852-1873. Builder of the Second Church
Dom Robert Aloysius Wilkinson OSB – Rector 1873-1905
Dom Robert Aloysius WILKINSON O.S.B.
Born in Warrington in 1837, Father Wilkinson as he became, served the Catholic Church in Cheltenham from 1866, only nine years after the solemn opening of the new St Gregory’s Church to which he was attached. He became Rector in 1873 and immediately set about completing the Church which, at the time, was separated from its tower. His goal was achieved in 1877 when Saint Gregory’s was consecrated.
Fr Wilkinson was an excellent preacher, beloved by everyone, although his sermons were known frequently to last between three quarters of an hour to an hour. But they were never uninteresting!! He served Cheltenham for thirty-four years and died in retirement in January 1907, aged 89. He had been a Priest for forty-four years.
Electrification of the Organ 1924. Extreme left, middle row, Dom David Bede Ryan OSB (1862-1944), Rector from 1916-1930
Dom John Adrian Coughlin PhD, OSB (1879-1964), Rector from 1931-1959
Dom Valentine Ambrose Crowley OSB, Rector from 1959-1961
Left: Dom James Donovan OSB, Rector from 1961-1984, with Fr Robert Hall (centre) and (?)
Ordination at St Gregory’s Church
1984 The original statue
1984 the original statue
1984 Raffertys replacing top 12 feet of spire
Awaiting the arrival of the new statue 1985
The statue arrives during a funeral!
The sculptor Patrick Conoley (right) removes it from the van
The statue is raised into place